H. G. Wells: “History is a race between education and catastrophe”.

jueves, 25 de octubre de 2018

4º CC.SS. - TEMA 1

1.- Who is who?


  • I wanted to govern without Parliament and proceeded to arrest or execute opponents. I was executed and a republic was proclaimed in England.
  • I was an Enlightenment thinker. I defended the need for a parliament that limited the power of the monarch, and fiscal justice.
  • I was candidate to the Spanish throne. In 1711 I inherited the German Empire and lost interest in becoming king of Spain.
  • I was an Enlightenment thinker. I edited the Encyclopédie.
  • I had rights and privileges and did not have to pay taxes.
  • I was known as the 'Sun King'. I was the perfect example of an absolute monarch.
  • I did not enjoy any privileges and had to pay taxes to the state.
  • I was provided with the necessary raw materials and tools to make products in my workshop.
  • I was taken from Africa to the Americas. There, I was sold and forced to work in terrible conditions on agricultural plantations in Brazil.
  • I became king of England in 1660. I had to accept the control of Parliament that enacted the Habeas corpus.
  • I was catholic and faced the Parliament. I had to leave England.
  • I became king of England in 1689. I accepted the Bill of Rights, that limited the power of the monarchy.
  • I expressed the need for a social contract between the ruler and the citizens. I also defended the idea of popular sovereignty.
  • I was an Enlightenment thinker. I defended the separation of powers.
  • I became king of Spain in 1700. I won the War of the Spanish Succession. I abolish Catalan privileges. I centralised the state.
  • I proposed abolish mortmain and communal land, dissolve the Mesta, limit entailed estates.
  • I was an enlightened monarch. I promoted the rationalisation of administration, education reforms and the modernisation of the economy.
  • I was an enlightened monarch. I allowed free trade with the Americas. I promoted of the free movement of goods, establishing the free sale of grain.
  • I was a Rococo painter. I painted The Love Letter.
  • I was a neoclassical painter. I used mythological and historical themes to express moral values.


2.- Rococo or Neoclassicism:
a) Many public buildings, such as libraries, pantheons, gates and museums, were constructed:
b) It was a new style that expanded in the early 19th century:
c) It was a reflection of the refined tastes of the aristocracy:
d) Sculptors focused on mostly mythological themes:
e) Sculptors used mainly marble and bronze:
f) This style is elegant and ornate, with an emphasis on sensual beauty and visual pleasure:
g) Famous painters were Watteau, Canaletto and Tiepolo:
h) It involved the return to the simplicity and rationality of classical art:
i) Architecture was inspired by the Greco-Roman style:
j) Painters were inspired by the order and balance of classical art:
k) Famous painters were David and Ingres:
l) Its painting reflected the refined and carefree ambience of the privileged:
m) It used light colours such as grey, apple green, sky blue: